When you choose an area rug, you may have your room’s style and theme in mind. Or you might just pick a rug based on a whim or how you feel at the time. Or—if you’re like many people—you may want an area rug that’s going to show off your true personality to everyone who visits your home. If this sounds like you, then you may be wondering just how to make that happen. After all, picking an area rug doesn’t sound like an easy feat, and trying to find one that really expresses who you are may sound even more difficult. In the end, however, the decision is entirely up to you. If you still find yourself a little stumped on how to pick the right rug for your personality to really shine through, however, check out the tips we’ve put together below to help you get started.
Start with your style.
In order to really start narrowing down your area rug options, it’s a good idea to take a look at the different styles you may have to work with. If you’ve already chosen a style for your home or the room in question, that’s great! Then you may be able to skip this step. If not, however, you might want to take some time and consider which of these you want to go with in order to help make your rug shopping experience go a little more smoothly.
- Contemporary: These rugs are made of almost any type of fiber and incorporate bright colors, stark contrasts, and geometric and abstract patterns as well as solids.
- Traditional: These rugs include floral prints or intricate designs and are usually made of wool—although not always.
- Transitional: A transitional rug combines elements from both other types of rug to create something that can be used in either style of room.
Think about fibers and materials.
Now that you know the category you’re going to stick to, you can choose the fibers and materials you want to work with. The deciding factor for this often comes down to budget, since synthetic materials are usually more affordable than natural ones. However, this may not always be the case, and there may be some situations in which your budget doesn’t decide this as much as your personality and preferences do. Take your time and think about the different types of materials you may encounter when you go shopping for a new area rug, and choose which you think is best.
- Green living: Does going green matter a lot to you? Are you vegan or do you prefer to buy from companies with green operations? If so, this may narrow down your fiber selection.
- All-natural: Do you want to use only natural fibers in your home? If this is the case, stick to wool, cotton, viscose, jute, silk, and other organic substances.
- Functional: If you need something truly functional and durable for a household with a big family or a casual room, sticking to synthetic fibers may be the way to go.
- Formal vs. casual: Is your personality more formal or more casual? Understanding this can make a difference in the rug you choose!
Pick a pop of color—if you want.
Bright and vibrant colors are very popular in modern rugs, but what if that isn’t really your style? Or what if it is? Figuring out the color or colors you want to use in your area rug can help you choose one that really speaks to you and your own unique and individual personality. Of course, you may choose your colors based on your room’s décor as it already is, but picking a rug that shows off your personality may rely on thinking outside the box a bit in terms of color and pattern. Maybe your favorite color is the way to go!
- Vivid colors: If you’re a bold and vivid person, then you may want a bold and vivid color in your area rug! Neon shades, deep and rich hues, and solid primary colors are all great options here.
- Neutral colors: Sticking to earth tones and neutrals doesn’t mean you’re boring. If you like these shades, consider going with a more formal and organized approach to color.
Think about the size and relation to the rest of the room.
Last but not least, you’ll need to consider the rug size you want to use. This is a decision that may be made partly based on your personality and partly based on the needs of your interior space. After all, you can’t use a massive 12×12 area rug if your room is only 8×8! Of course, the rug’s relation to the rest of the room can go a long way in showing off your personality and your own sense of style, too. Pick this and you’ll be well on your way to bringing home the perfect rug in no time.
- Smaller throw rugs: Smaller rugs can be used on their own to add a quirky little pop of color or style in a corner of the room, or they can also be stacked or used throughout the room for a more haphazard and whimsical look.
- Full-size centerpieces: A full-size rug centerpiece is sure to make your room like formal and attractive while sticking to a more traditional design sense.
- Runners: Many different styles incorporate runners to divide rooms visually or lead the eye down a hallway—but you can also use these rugs in unique ways depending on your own personality, too.
So what do you think? Are you prepared to get out there and find the perfect rug to showcase the real you? Take your time when shopping for your new rug and consider all your options. You just may find that a rug you might not have ordinarily even glanced at may really be the right pick for your needs. On the other hand, you might also find that the first rug that reaches out to you is perfect for your home’s new centerpiece. Whichever rug you pick, you’re sure to be pleased with the results when you choose one based on your own exciting personality.